You know, gum disease used to be the number one cause of tooth loss. It probably still is. Regular, thorough cleanings are the best defense to slow down gum disease. The use of laser light to disinfect around the gum tissue as has been a huge step forward and it's keeping many people with a healthy mouth, without the need for painful gum surgery. It's really been quite a revolution, and all of our hygienists use that at Lakeside Dentistry.
When most people think about tooth loss, they think about tooth decay and cavities or even a blow to their mouth. But gum disease is actually the leading cause of adult tooth loss. That’s why your trusted Rochester, MN dentist is so vigilant about gum disease treatment at Lakeside Dentistry!
How We Treat Gum Disease
If you have gum disease (periodontal disease), our team will use a deep-cleaning gum disease treatment called scaling and root planing. It removes the bacteria that causes gum disease. We clean away plaque and tartar both above and below your gumline using a high-tech tool called an ultrasonic scaler.
Why do we use an ultrasonic scaler? Advantages of ultrasonic scalers include:
- They are more effective at removing plaque, tartar, and bacteria from tiny nooks and crannies in your teeth
- They are easier on your teeth than hand tools
- They generally cause less discomfort
- They get the job done quicker than hand tools, so you spend less time in the patient chair
Signs of Gum Disease
We will examine you for signs of gum disease during your regular dental exams. But if you notice any of these symptoms, you should go ahead and visit our Rochester, MN dentist office before your next exam:
- Red and swollen gums that are tender to the touch
- Bleeding gums
- Persistent bad breath
- Receding gums
- Teeth that feel loose
- Changes in the way your teeth come together while biting
Worried about losing teeth to gum disease? Our gum disease treatment will help ensure you keep your smile intact!